12 Jan Frugal Recipes: Melon Pickle Recipe
Spicy Melon Pickles
Author: Lori Forster
Serves: 5 12oz jars
- 13 c. cantaloupe, cut into 1" balls or cubes
- 3 c. vinegar
- 2 c. water
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 2 t. whole cloves
- 1 t. whole allspice
- 1 t. ground nutmeg
- 4½ c. sugar
- Combine vinegar, water and spices in a large sauce pot. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer five minutes. Remove from heat; add melon; and let stand 1½ to 2 hours. Add sugar to sauce pot. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes or until cantaloupe becomes slightly transparent.
- Pack melon balls into hot jars, leaving quarter inch head space.
- Pour hot syrup over lemon balls, leaving quarter inch head space.
- Remove air bubbles.
- Adjust caps.
- Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath.