|1/2 cup||pearl barley|
|1/2 cup||lentils (dried)|
|2||celery or carrots, chopped (or both)|
|3 cups||Fresh baby spinach|
|2 cloves||garlic, minced|
|1 1/2 tbsp||olive oil|
|1 tsp||ground cumin|
|3 cups||chicken broth|
|1 1/4 cup||canned tomatoes (diced)|
|ground pepper to taste|
- Rinse and drain the lentils, then set aside.
- Chop the onion and celery or carrots; mince the garlic. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion then sauté 3-4 min until soft. Add the celery/carrots, then sauté 5 min with occasional stirring, until they are lightly browned. Add the garlic and stir 1 min, then add the cumin and stir 1 min. Pour in the broth, water and barley. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer 25 min.
- Stir in the tomatoes and lentils. Continue to simmer, covered, until the lentils and barley are tender, 25-30 min.
- Add the chard to the soup, cover and simmer until the chard is tender, about 5 min. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Thin the soup with more broth or water, if desired. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.